Sunday November 30, 2025 / 09 , Jumada al-akhirah , 1447
Header Logo
Leading The Way
search-icon
Footer Header
search-icon
SG
Saudi Arabia
Opinion
Discover Saudi
World
Sports
Business
Life
Advertisements
search-logo
  • Home
  • World
  • Africa
World
291 - 300 from 2571 . In "World / Africa"
The president's plans to delay the election sparked widespread protests
Senegal president rejects blame for election chaos
DAKAR — Senegal's president has told the BBC he does not regret delaying this year's elections, a move that sparked deadly protests.Macky Sall said he did not make the decision alone — he was responding to concerns raised by parliamentarians.After a violent backlash, many feared the relatively stable nation was slipping into political crisis.But the attempt to push the election back by 10 months was blocked by Senegal's top court.The vote will now take place on Sunday - a month after it was initially due."I have no apology to make, I have done nothing wrong," President Sall told the BBC."All the actions that have been taken have been within the framework of the law and regulations."With just three weeks to go before the 25 February election, Mr Sall...
March 20, 2024

Senegal president rejects blame for election chaos

Three-year-old Manasek is suffering from severe malnutrition - her mother Ikram says food prices have soared
Famine looms in Sudan as civil war survivors tell of killings and rapes
KHARTOUM — Civilians caught up in Sudan's civil war have given graphic accounts to the BBC of rape, ethnic violence and street executions. Our journalists have managed to make it to the front line of the fighting close to the capital, Khartoum.Top UN officials have said the conflict has plunged the country into "one of the worst humanitarian nightmares in recent history" and could trigger the world's largest hunger crisis.There are also fears that in Darfur, in the west of the country, a repeat of what the US called genocide 20 years ago may be beginning to unfold.As if out of nowhere, a huge blast shakes the road in Omdurman. People scream and run in all directions, shouting: "Go back, go back, there'll be another one." Thick smoke blankets...
March 20, 2024

Famine looms in Sudan as civil war survivors tell of killings and rapes

Civilians fleeing conflict in Sudan wait for asylum registration procedures in Renk, South Sudan, on December 18, 2023
‘Enlist or die’: Fear, famine and a deadly ultimatum swell the ranks of Sudan’s paramilitary forces
KHARTOUM — In mid-December, the powerful paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) swept into Sudan’s central Al Jazira state, known as the country’s breadbasket, with an ultimatum: “Enlist or die.”Since then, the militia group has sought to use food as a weapon, withholding supplies from the hungry in a bid to coerce men and boys to join its ranks, according to over three dozen witnesses.The RSF has been battling the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) for control of the country since a civil war broke out between the two rival factions in April last year. Both forces have been accused of killing civilians. CNN reporting last year exposed an RSF-led campaign to enslave men and women, and other atrocities by the paramilitary group and its allied militias in Sudan’s western Darfur region...
March 19, 2024

‘Enlist or die’: Fear, famine and a deadly ultimatum swell the ranks of Sudan’s paramilitary forces

Man counting local Ethiopian currency birr notes. — courtesy Getty Images
Commercial Bank of Ethiopia glitch lets customers withdraw millions
ADDIS ABABA — Ethiopia's biggest commercial bank is scrambling to recoup large sums of money withdrawn by customers after a "systems glitch".The customers discovered early on Saturday that they could take out more cash than they had in their accounts at the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (CBE).More than $40m (£31m) was withdrawn or transferred to other banks, local media reported. It took several hours for the institution to freeze transactions.Much of the money was withdrawn from state-owned CBE by students, bank president Abe Sano told journalists on Monday.News of the glitch spread across universities largely via messaging apps and phone calls.Long lines formed at campus ATMs, with a student in western Ethiopia telling BBC Amharic people were withdrawing money until police...
March 18, 2024

Commercial Bank of Ethiopia glitch lets customers withdraw millions

MONUSCO peacekeepers on a trip to North Kivu province in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. (file). — courtesy MONUSCO/Kevin N. Jordan
UN chief condemns attack on peacekeepers in DR Congo
NEW YORK — The UN chief on Saturday condemned an attack which saw eight peacekeepers from the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, or DRC, wounded during clashes between the powerful M23 rebel movement and government troops.The incident occurred in the vicinity of Sake, just 20 kilometers from Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu.The wounded peacekeepers, who were part of Operation Springbok initiated last November to safeguard civilians in the region, sustained their injuries amidst the ongoing fighting, where UN troops have been assisting government forces in order to protect vulnerable civilians.In a strongly-worded statement issued by his spokesperson, UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned the attack, emphasizing that it could amount to a war crime...
March 17, 2024

UN chief condemns attack on peacekeepers in DR Congo

European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen and Egypt's President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi meet in Cairo on Sunday. — courtesy X
EU announces €7.3 billion package of aid for Egypt
CAIRO — The European Union on Sunday announced a €7.3 billion aid package for cash-strapped Egypt amid concerns that economic pressure and conflicts and chaos in neighboring countries could drive more migrants to European shores.European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen headed a delegation meeting Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in Cairo on Sunday that also includes the Italian, Greek, Austrian and Belgian prime ministers, and the Cypriot president.The package is scheduled to be signed during a visit Sunday by European Commission President von der Leyen and the leaders of Belgium, Italy, Austria, Cyprus and Greece, according to Egyptian officials.The package includes both grants and loans over the next three years for the Arab world’s most populous country,...
March 17, 2024

EU announces €7.3 billion package of aid for Egypt

Niger's National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland Col-Maj Amadou Abdramane, second from right, is greeted by supporters upon his arrival at the Stade General Seyni Kountche in Niamey on Aug. 6, 2023. — courtesy Getty Images
Niger ends military agreement with US, calls it ‘profoundly unfair’
NIAMEY — Niger’s military government announced that it has ended an accord with the US that allowed military personnel and civilian staff from the Department of Defense to operate in Niger – days after holding high-level talks with US diplomatic and military officials this week.“The government of Niger, taking into account the aspirations and interests of its people, decides with full responsibility to denounce with immediate effect the agreement relating to the status of military personnel of the United States and civilian employees of the American Department of Defense in the territory of the Republic of Niger,” Niger military spokesman Col.- Maj. Amadou Abdramane said in a statement on national television announcing the change.Abdramane added that the agreement between the two...
March 17, 2024

Niger ends military agreement with US, calls it ‘profoundly unfair’

The school in Kuririga, pictured on March 8, 2024, where more than 250 pupils were kidnapped by gunmen
Nigeria kidnappers threaten to kill all 287 schoolchildren if ransom is not paid
ABUJA — Gunmen who kidnapped at least 287 schoolchildren in Nigeria last Thursday have demanded a ransom of 1 billion naira ($621,848) and threatened to kill all of the students if their demands are not met, a member of the local community told CNN on Wednesday.“They called me from a hidden number yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon at around 16 minutes past 12, and demanded 1 billion naira ($621,848) as a ransom for the students. They said [the ultimatum] will only last for three weeks or 20 days from the date they kidnapped the children and if there’s no action from the government, they will kill all of them,” said Aminu Jibril, a resident of Kuriga village, in Kaduna state, where the school is located.The children were kidnapped on March 7.Jibril also told CNN that the perpetrators...
March 14, 2024

Nigeria kidnappers threaten to kill all 287 schoolchildren if ransom is not paid

Opposition politician Victoire Ingabire looks on at the High Court in Kigali, Rwanda Wednesday. — courtesy AFP
Rwandan opposition leader Victoire Ingabire barred from election
KIGALI — A court in Rwanda has blocked efforts by prominent opposition figure Victoire Ingabire to lift a ban on her running in July’s presidential election.She was freed in 2018 after spending eight years in prison for threatening state security and “belittling” the 1994 genocide.In Rwanda, people who have been jailed for more than six months are barred from running in elections.Ingabire said the court’s ruling was politicized.“The refusal of my rehabilitation is not merely a personal attack but is emblematic of the broader issues facing our nation, issues that human rights organizations and development partners of Rwanda have long criticized,” Ingabire said in a statement released on X, formerly known as Twitter.Outside the court in the capital, Kigali, the 55-year-old...
March 13, 2024

Rwandan opposition leader Victoire Ingabire barred from election

A copy of the fake note. — courtesy EAC Secretariat/X
Ugandan man behind viral fake East African currency shocked by its success
KAMPALA — To the casual observer, it seemed like the long-cherished dream of a new single currency for East Africa had come to fruition.An account on X, called "Government of East Africa", complete with a grey tick suggesting it was the real deal, released an image of a specimen note worth five sheafras, featuring a coat of arms and a space for a signature from a central bank governor.The name sheafra was coined by combining shilling of East Africa and franc — currencies in use in the region.The original posts from last Sunday were viewed more than a million times, going viral after being picked up by major blogs and at least one popular online media outlet in Kenya. It was reported as a launch.The truth was still putting its shoes on as the apparent news of the single...
March 10, 2024

Ugandan man behind viral fake East African currency shocked by its success

< Previous Next >
footer logo
COPYRIGHT © 2025 WWW.SAUDIGAZETTE.COM.SA - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Powered by NewsPress
NEWS CATEGORY
saudi arabia world opinion business sports esports life
COMPANY
advertisements about us Epaper contact us Archive privacy policy