Saturday November 29, 2025 / 08 , Jumada al-akhirah , 1447
Header Logo
Leading The Way
search-icon
Footer Header
search-icon
SG
Saudi Arabia
Opinion
Discover Saudi
World
Sports
Business
Life
Advertisements
search-logo
  • Home
  • World
World
11 - 20 from 52560 . In "World"
The blaze spread rapidly and went on for more than a day in some blocks
Hong Kong fire death toll jumps to 128, officials warn could rise further
HONG KONG — The number of people killed in the devastating Hong Kong apartment complex fire has risen to 128 with as many as 200 missing, officials said Friday, as firefighters finally brought the blaze under control 42 hours after it ignited.At least 79 people were injured in the inferno that rapidly spread through multiple buildings in a public housing estate in the city’s Tai Po neighborhood, Hong Kong Secretary for Security Chris Tang said during a press conference Friday.Tang warned the death toll could rise further as there are about 200 people whose situation is unknown.The blaze – Hong Kong’s deadliest in decades – has sent shock waves through the skyscraper-filled city, which has a usually strong public safety record and construction standards.Displaced residents and...
November 28, 2025

Hong Kong fire death toll jumps to 128, officials warn could rise further

Andriy Yermak (L) has been Zelensky's chief of staff for more than five years
Ukraine anti-corruption agents search home of Zelensky's top adviser
KYIV — Ukraine's anti-corruption agencies have begun searching the apartment of President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff Andriy Yermak.One of the two agencies, anti-corruption bureau Nabu, confirmed that its investigative searches had been authorised and said further details would follow.A corruption scandal has engulfed several figures close to Zelensky, though neither he nor his right-hand man Yermak have been accused of any wrongdoing.Yermak has played a crucial role in Ukraine's response to Russia's full-scale war, and he is Kyiv's lead negotiator in peace talks with the US. However, his position has become increasingly under threat from critics calling for him to go.Yermak, 54, confirmed on social media that both Nabu and the specialised anti-corruption...
November 28, 2025

Ukraine anti-corruption agents search home of Zelensky's top adviser

The Soyuz-2.1a rocket with the Soyuz MS-28 spacecraft blasts off to the International Space Station (ISS) from the launchpad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, on November 27, 2025
Launch pad damaged as Russian rocket blasts off for space station
BAIKONUR — A launch pad at Russia’s main space complex was damaged during Thursday’s launch of a mission carrying two Russians and an American to the International Space Station, Moscow’s space agency announced.The Soyuz MS-28 spacecraft successfully docked with the space station and the three crew members had boarded, Roscosmos said.But a post-launch inspection at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan revealed “damage to several elements of the launch pad,” according to a statement from Roscosmos, which still uses the space facility in its former Soviet neighbor.“An assessment of the condition of the launch complex is currently underway,” it said, adding that all parts needed to repair the pad are available.“The damage will be repaired in the near future.”The launch...
November 28, 2025

Launch pad damaged as Russian rocket blasts off for space station

Peru's former President Pedro Castillo shows little reaction as he is handed an 11-year prison sentence by a court in Lima on Thursday
Peru sentences former president Pedro Castillo just a day after another presidential conviction
LIMA — In an extraordinary two-day series of judgments, a Peruvian Supreme Court chamber sentenced former President Pedro Castillo to more than 11 years in prison for attempting to dissolve Congress, only a day after another ex-president, Martín Vizcarra, was convicted and given 14 years for bribery.During a special hearing of the Supreme Court held at Lima’s Barbadillo Prison on Thursday, Castillo was found guilty by a two-to-one vote of attempting to dissolve Congress and assume extraordinary powers in 2022.The ruling comes just one day after Vizcarra was convicted – marking unprecedented back-to-back convictions within a 48-hour span at the highest level of Peruvian politics.With the convictions of Castillo and Vizcarra, Peru adds two more former heads of state to a long list of...
November 28, 2025

Peru sentences former president Pedro Castillo just a day after another presidential conviction

Putin says Russia will lay down arms only if Kyiv's troops withdraw from territory claimed by Moscow. — EPA
Putin doubles down on demands for Ukrainian territory ahead of talks with US in Moscow
BISHTEK — Russian President Vladimir Putin said that a US plan to end the war in Ukraine could “form the basis for future agreements” but renewed threats to seize more territory by force unless Kyiv withdraws.Speaking to reporters in Bishtek, in the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan on Thursday, Putin confirmed the Kremlin was expecting a US delegation headed by Special Envoy Steve Witkoff to visit Moscow early next week, adding that the Kremlin was ready for “serious discussion”.But chances of a swift breakthrough appear slim after Putin repeated his maximalist demands, saying the war in Ukraine will only end “once Ukrainian troops withdraw from the territories they occupy.”“If they don’t withdraw, we will achieve this through military means,” the Russian leader...
November 28, 2025

Putin doubles down on demands for Ukrainian territory ahead of talks with US in Moscow

Sarah Beckstrom
National Guard member succumbs to injuries from Washington shooting
WASHINGTON — One of the two members of the National Guard who were shot in Washington DC on Wednesday has died, US President Donald Trump said.Sarah Beckstrom, 20, succumbed to her injuries, President Trump said on Thursday evening.The second National Guard member, 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, "is fighting for his life", he said.Both were shot at close range near Farragut Square in downtown just after 14:00 EST (19:00 GMT) on Wednesday. Police have arrested one suspect in the shooting, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old from Afghanistan.President Trump confirmed Ms Beckstrom's death while on a Thanksgiving call with US service members."Sarah Beckstrom of West Virginia, one of the guardsmen that we're talking about, highly respected, young, magnificent person ... She's just...
November 28, 2025

National Guard member succumbs to injuries from Washington shooting

Videos uploaded to social media show flooded streets and houses being washed away
At least 56 dead as severe floods hit Sri Lanka
COLOMBO — At least 56 people have been killed and 21 are missing in Sri Lanka after floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains wreaked havoc this week, in one of its worst weather related disasters the country has seen in recent years.Twenty-one people were killed in the central tea-growing district of Badulla when a landslide crashed onto their homes overnight, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said in a statement.Videos uploaded to social media show houses being washed away as flood waters cascade through towns, while most train services have been cancelled across the country.Sri Lanka is now bracing itself for more severe weather on Friday as Cyclone Ditwah moves along its eastern coast.Ditwah began as a deep depression off its eastern coast but later intensified into a...
November 28, 2025

At least 56 dead as severe floods hit Sri Lanka

Women workers wearing headscarfs and holding placards during a trade union protest against the new labor codes in Delhi
Reform or rights rollback? India's sweeping labor law overhaul sparks debate
NEW DELHI — Last week, India announced it would implement what many say are its most far-reaching economic reforms in decades — compressing 29 federal laws that regulated labor into four simplified codes.As a result, the number of rules that govern labour have now come down from a staggering 1,400 to around 350, while the number of forms companies had to fill in this regard have reduced from 180 to 73 — drastically lightening the regulatory burden on businesses.The laws got a parliamentary nod in 2020 but are finally set to be uniformly implemented across the country after a five-year delay and much political wrangling.Companies — which have long blamed restrictive labour practices for the atrophy in India's manufacturing sector — have given the changes a rousing...
November 28, 2025

Reform or rights rollback? India's sweeping labor law overhaul sparks debate

Noah Jones and Macy Neyland argue the ban disregards the rights of children
Ban harmful content from social media instead of us, say Australian teens
SYDNEY — Social media companies and the Australian government should be using their resources to remove predators and harmful content from platforms rather than banning under-16s, teenagers challenging the law have said.From 10 December, social media firms — including Meta, TikTok and YouTube — must ensure that young Australians cannot hold accounts on their platforms.Campaigners and the government say the law is necessary to protect children from harmful content and algorithms that can promote it to users.But the policy is being challenged in the nation's highest court by two 15-year-olds, backed by a rights group, who say it robs them of their right to free communication.One of them, Noah Jones, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there were bad things online but that did...
November 28, 2025

Ban harmful content from social media instead of us, say Australian teens

Donald Trump sitting in the Oval Office
Trump administration will re-examine green card holders from 19 countries
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has said it will re-examine green cards issued to individuals who immigrated to the US from 19 countries.The head of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Joseph Edlow, said the president had directed him to conduct "a full scale, rigorous re-examination of every green card for every alien from every country of concern".When asked by the BBC which countries were on the list, the agency pointed to a June proclamation by the White House that included Afghanistan, Cuba, Haiti, Iran, Somalia and Venezuela.The announcement comes in the wake of an Afghan national allegedly shooting two National Guard troops in Washington DC on Wednesday, gravely injuring them both.The suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, came to the US in 2021 under a programme that...
November 28, 2025

Trump administration will re-examine green card holders from 19 countries

< Previous Next >
footer logo
COPYRIGHT © 2025 WWW.SAUDIGAZETTE.COM.SA - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Powered by NewsPress
NEWS CATEGORY
saudi arabia world opinion business sports esports life
COMPANY
advertisements about us Epaper contact us Archive privacy policy